The risks of the ketogenic diet ? The ketogenic diet is definitely one of the strategies slimming most popular of our time, but unfortunately there are few people who have pause to think about the risks that a ketogenic dietcan bring.
1. The ketogenic diet is characterized by the drastic reduction of carbohydrates, thus reducing the glycogen which is usually deposited in the liver and muscles. By reducing the reserves of glycogen and body fluids will have the effect of rapid weight loss, but do not be fooled: although it is usually interpreted as fat loss, in reality this weight loss is derived from fluid loss andmuscle mass .
2. One of the risks of the ketogenic diet is in fact the decline in muscle glycogen, which are essential to provide the energy necessary for movement and physical exertion. With a drop of this, the result will be a greater sense of fatigue and weariness, and less willingness to take physical exercise. You want this?
3. The depletion of glycogen caused by the ketogenic diet also leads to problems such as muscle atrophy (loss of mass). This happens because muscle glycogen (broken down to glucose) is the ideal fuel for muscle during movement. There is always a mix of fuels, but without glycogen in the tissues will become more difficult movements becoming less elastic and toned.
Furthermore, in the absence of carbohydrates, the body will use as the main energy proteins and fat. During the initial phase of the ketogenic diet the decrease in muscle mass will be fast, caused by the use of protein?? Muscle are readily accessible for the metabolism and transformed into energy.
4. Think that the loss of muscle mass will also lead to a slowdown in the rate of your metabolism: in this way the body goes into action storage of stocks of energy, making you take pounds and fat.
5. Some proponents of diets low in carbohydrates, such as the ketogenic diet, recommend avoiding carbohydrates such as bread, pasta, potatoes and carrots because they are characterized by a high glycemic index, causing an ‘increase of insulin.
Some carbohydrates are recommended for you and always will be: candy, cookies, processed products with added sugar, sugary drinks, pasta and rice … These are not good for health or weight loss, especially during the ketogenic diet.
However, carbohydrates such as fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, pasta and rice are all good foods and nutrients, ideal for your diet, ketogenic , and to ensure the right amount of carbohydrates.
Just as for proteins? And fats, these carbohydrates should be consumed in moderation, however: if you consume large amounts of these macronutrients will never lose weight!
6. Risks of ketogenic diet may also affect the difficulty of keeping the weight off:
- Losing muscle tone you lost even your most natural ability to eliminate fat.
- If you lose pounds by reducing fluid intake, do not kid yourself: the lost pounds will return in the blink of an eye.
- You can not follow the ketogenic diet for too long, risking health seriously.
7. Eating too much fat will lead to increased levels of blood cholesterol, a risk that you should avoid during your ketogenic diet.
8. The diets low in carbohydrates are devoid of fiber. Each food plant-based fibers is characterized by, on the contrary of the products of animal origin. The lack of fibers increases the risk of tumors of the digestive tract and cardiovascular disease. Make sure you understand the proper amount of fiber in your diet ketogenic!
9. The ketogenic diet , unfortunately, does not guarantee your body all the nutrition they need. For this you can ensure the right amount of all values of nutrients through food supplements of natural origin: this avoids the risk of cancer and physical problems of various kinds!
10. The ketones produced during the state of ketosis cause bad breath .
We understand the reasons why many people have chosen the ketogenic diet, never mind the risks : the speed with which you can lose weight, the taste that only fatty foods can give you, inspiring you palate and taste buds …
In order to avoid serious health risks, but you’d better start right away to resize your diet ketogenic, making it more balanced and able to provide the necessary nutrients and at the same time, to lose weight in harmony and respecting your body . In any case it is always advisable to consult a doctor.